Home Areas Covered Sales Lettings Complaints Privacy Policy About Us Contact Us
01255 556660
How long will it be before my property is rented? Compass main aim is to attract the right tenant and will ensure the property is marketed before it becomes vacant therefore avoiding any long periods where the landlord is without rent. Income Tax When the landlord is resident in the UK, it is entirely his or hers responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. However, where the landlord is resident outside the UK during a tenancy, under new rules effective from 6th April 1996, unless an exemption certificate is held, we as landlord’s agents are obliged to retain and forward to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis, an amount equal to the basic rate of income tax from rental received, less certain expenses. Further information can be obtained from the Inland Revenue website. Consent from Lender to Freeholder If the property to be let is subject to a mortgage or other loan, it is usually necessary for the landlord to obtain permission from the lender. The landlord must continue to make arrangements for loan repayments as we cannot accept responsibility. If the property is leasehold, you may need to obtain permission from the Freeholder or managing agent before the property is let. Important Safety Regulations The following safety requirements are the responsibility of the owner (the Landlord), and where we are to manage the property, they are also ours as agents. Therefore to protect all interests we ensure full compliance with the appropriate regulations, at the owner’s expense. Gas Appliances & Equipment Annual safety check: Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and the Gas Safe Register which came into force 1st April 2009 all gas appliances and flues in rented accommodation must be checked for safety within 12 months of being installed, and thereafter at least every 12 months by a competent engineer (e.g. Gas Safe Registered). Copies to tenants: A copy of the safety certificate issued by the engineer must be given to each new tenant before their tenancy commences, or to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being carried out. Electrical Safety Checks The Government has now brought in detailed regulations for five-year electrical safety checks in the private rented sector from the 1st July 2020. These state that all new private tenancies will need to ensure that electrical installations are inspected & tested by a qualified person before the tenancy begins. The landlord will then need to ensure that the installation is inspected and tested at least every five years (more often if the most recent safety report requires it). For existing tenancies, an electrical safety test will need to be carried out by 1st April 2021, with regular tests following this as outlined above. Once the electrical installation has been tested, the landlord must; (1) Ensure they receive a written report from the person conducting the inspection, which includes the results and the required date for the next inspection. (2) Supply a copy of this report to each existing tenant living in the property within 28 days of the inspection. (3) Supply a copy within seven days to the local authority, if requested. (4) Keep a copy of the report until the next inspection, and give a copy to the person undertaking the next inspection. For new tenancies, the landlord must (1) Give a copy of the most recent report to a new tenant before the tenant occupies the property. (2) Give a copy of the most recent report to any prospective new tenant who requests the report in writing, within 28 days of receiving such a request. Furniture & Furnishings The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989, 1993 & 1996) provide that specific items supplied in the course of letting property must meet minimum fire resistant standards. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, beds, headboards and mattresses, sofa beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in a dwelling, scatter cushions, pillows, and non-original covers for furniture. They do not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, bed clothes including duvets, loose covers for mattresses, pillow cases, curtains, carpets or sleeping bags. Therefore all relevant items as above must be checked for compliance, and non-compliant items removed from the premises. EPC Certificates Landlord must provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for new tenants. If you are renting out your property (buy to let), you will need to provide a certificate to any perspective tenant. The EPC once obtained, is valid for 10 years, thus if a Valid Energy Performance Certificate still exists when changing tenants a new certificate is not required. All rented properties must be a minimum rating of EPC band E or above. Compass can arrange for an EPC to be carried out on your behalf, please ask for further details. Legionnaires Disease Landlords have responsibilities for combating Legionnaires’ disease. Health and safety legislation require that landlords carry out risk assessments for the Legionella bacteria which cause Legionnaires disease and thereafter maintain control measures to minimise the risk. Most rental premises will be low risk but it is important that risk assessments are carried out and control measures introduced. Compass will arrange for a risk assessment to be carried out when needed on managed properties. Tenancy Deposit Scheme The government implemented the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, part of the new legislation governing residential lettings from the Housing Act 2004. It is mandatory for the deposit or bond for a property to be paid to a third party who will resolve any disputes if there are any regarding the return of this money at the end of the tenancy. This is seen as a fair way of ensuring that a tenant or whoever pays a deposit is entitled to get all or part of it back and the end of the tenancy. Where tenancies are created on or after the 6th April 2007 there will be a legal obligation on the landlord to pay the deposit or ‘bond’ obtained for the property to a Government accredited Scheme Administrator who will hold it securely throughout the duration of the tenancy. The Landlord must advise the tenant in advance which accredited scheme the deposit is to be lodged with. Insurance You should ensure that you are suitable covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies. Money Laundering Under the Money Laundering Regulations 2003, both landlords and tenants are required to provide identity and proof of residency. Preparing The Property For Letting We have found from experience that a good relationship with tenants is the key to a smooth running agency. As Property Managers the relationship part is our job, but it is important that the tenants should feel comfortable in their temporary home, and that they are receiving value for their money. Our policy of offering a service of quality and care therefore extends to our tenant applicants too. At Compass we firmly believe quality properties attract quality tenants. General Condition Electrical, gas, plumbing, waste, central heating and hot water systems must be safe, sound and in good working order. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord’s expense unless misuse can be established. Appliances Similarly, appliances such as washing machines, fridge/freezers, cookers, dishwashers etc., should be in usable condition. Repairs and maintenance are at the landlord’s expense unless misuse can be established. Decorations Interior decorations should be in good condition, and preferable, plain, light and neutral. Furnishing There is no monetary difference between letting a furnished or unfurnished property. However we recommend that you leave only a minimum furnishings and these should be of reasonable quality. If you are leaving your property unfurnished then we recommend that the property contains carpets, curtains and a cooker. Personal Item, Ornament etc. Personal possessions, ornaments, pictures, books etc. Should be removed from the premises especially those of real sentimental value. All cupboard and shelf space should be left empty for the tenant’s own use. Gardens Gardens should be left neat, tidy and rubbish free, with any lawns cut. Tenants are required to maintain the gardens to a reasonable standard. Cleaning At the commencement of the tenancy the property must be in a thoroughly clean condition and at the end of each tenancy it is the tenant’s responsibility to leave the property in similar condition. Where they fail to do so, cleaning should be arranged at their expense. Mail Forwarding We recommend that you make use of the Post Office redirection service. Applications forms are available at their counters or visit www.postoffice.co.uk/redirection, and the cost is minimal. It is not the tenant’s responsibility to forward mail. Information For The Tenant If is helpful if you leave information for the tenant on operating the central heating and hot water system, washing machine and alarm system, and the day refuse is collected etc. Keys You should provide one set of keys for each tenant. Where we are managing we will arrange to have duplicates cut as required.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  Copyright 2024 Compass Property. All rights reservedRegistered in England and Wales. Registration 05840889 C   MPASS
Sales, Lettings and Block Management
01255 556660 info@compassproperty.me.uk 28 Kingsway, Dovercourt, Essex, CO12 3AB